New Start For Financial Success
Debtor Education Disclosure Statement
If you have filed for bankruptcy, you know you need to complete a financial education class before your case is discharged. That's why we offer New Start for Financial Success. The two-hour class will allow you to meet the bankruptcy law's post-filing debtor education requirement and give you a fresh, new start to financial freedom.
New Start is taught by experienced education professionals with Ohio State University Extension -- the university's statewide outreach arm that offers reliable, research-based adult education in every county. New Start's instructors are University educators with Master’s degrees and are skilled in teaching personal finance using a nonjudgmental, practical approach.
Upon completing the class, you'll get the Certificate of Completion required by the bankruptcy court, as well as helpful money management tools you can begin using at once. The New Start class schedule and fees vary by location. If you have already filed and have a case number, click for New Start class details.
- The fee charged by OSU Extension in your location includes instruction, handouts and the certificate. No additional fees are charged.
- Fees may be reduced or waived for inability to pay (with documentation) based on the 150% of poverty guidelines issued by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
- OSU Extension does not sell information and is prohibited from the selling of information about debtor without debtor’s written consent.
- OSU Extension does not pay or receive fees or other consideration for the referral of students for the New Start for Financial Success course.
- OSU Extension provides a certificate to the student at the end of the New Start course. If for some reason this cannot happen, OSU Extension must provide the certificate no later than 3 three days after completion of the course.
- OSU Extension might disclose debtor information to the United States Trustee in connection with the United States Trustee’s oversight of OSU Extension, or during the investigation of complaints, during onsite visits, or during quality of service reviews.
- The United States Trustee has reviewed only OSU Extension’s New Start for Financial Success course. The United States Trustee has neither reviewed nor approved any other services that OSU Extension provides to students.
- The student MUST arrive on time and complete the New Start course to receive a certificate.
Note: Before you file bankruptcy, you must complete credit counseling from an approved provider; debtor education must take place after you file and before your discharge date. New Start is a debtor education course. OSU Extension does not offer credit counseling.