Teens and Young Adults
Adolescent Development Websites
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP):
A National professional medical association dedicated to treating and improving the quality of life for children, adolescents, and families affected by mental, behavioral, and developmental disorders.
Keys to Quality Youth Development: Keys to help promote positive youth development and plan quality experiences with young people.
Adolescent Intellectual/Cognitive Development: An article from Cincinnati Children's Hospital showing the progression of Cognitive or intellectual development through different stages of adolescence, early, middle and late.
Ohio 4-H is a community of young people across America who are learning leadership, citizenship and life skills. 4-H is a non-formal educational, youth development program offered to individuals age 5 and in Kindergarten to 19.
For New Moms
- Preparing Adolescents and Young Adults for Marriage: Developing Realistic Expectations (also in PDF)
- Teens: Having a Healthy Pregnancy
- Nutritional Needs of Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Good Beginnings: Limiting Risks for Your Unborn Child
Breastfeeding: Steps for Success
For New Dads
Fathers play a unique and irreplaceable role in their children's lives. The National Fatherhood Initiative's mission is to communicate this message to the public. .
This website covers issues from immediate concerns such as forming a new family, and the challenges new moms present, to hands-on-tips on how to care for yourself, mom, and the baby.
The mission of the National Center for Fathering is to improve the well-being of children by inspiring and equipping men to be more effectively involved in the lives of children.. In response to a dramatic trend towards fatherlessness in America, the Center was founded in 1990 by Dr. Ken Canfield to conduct research on fathers and fathering, and to develop practical resources to prepare dads for nearly every fathering situation.
- The Impact on Family Life
- Tips for New Parents
Sex, Etc. - Teen Parenting
Resource links, articles and an ask the experts section concerning teen parenting.
- Education and Work Outcomes During the Transition to Adulthood: Power point presented to The Ohio State University Extension council on youth workforce development trends Nationally and in Ohio
- Youth Workforce Development: Fact Sheet developed by Tasha Snyder, for the Carsey Institute
- Skills for Success in Knowledge Economy: Ohio State University Extension Action Brief
- Ohio 4-H Workforce Preparation Overview
Education and Work Among Rural Youth-- Tasha Snyder, The Ohio State University
-- Diane McLaughlin and Alisha Coleman-Jensen, Penn State
Podcast about Knowledge Economy and 4-H
Preparing Youth in a Knowledge Economy –
Audience: Extension Professionals/Volunteers
Content: This enhanced podcast explains the transition from an agrarian economy to a knowledge economy and what this means and how these changes are impacting Extension. It furthers shares how all program areas can be involved in preparing young people for skills needed in the 21st Century.
Turning 4-H Experience into Work Experience –
Audience: Youth 4-H Members
Content: This is a fun enhanced podcast for showing at workshops, linking on your webpage or showing at club meetings. It helps 4-H members understand how their 4-H experience is actually valuable work experience. It helps them to identify skills they may have that they can market to a new employer whether through their resume or an interview.
Skills Needed in the 21st Century –
Audience: Educators/Volunteers/4-H Members
Content: This enhanced podcast is great for running while participants in a program are entering and waiting to start. It highlights some of the key skills needed for youth to be successful in the knowledge economy.
- Ohio 4-H Workforce Preparation Initiative: The Ohio 4-H Workforce Preparation Initiative was developed to strengthen and expand programs designed to prepare youth with skills for the future.